IGROUP PRESENCE QUESTIONNAIRE (IPQ)
The Igroup Presence Questionnaire (IPQ) is a scale for measuring the sense of presence experienced in a virtual environment (VE). It has been constructed using a large pool of items and two survey waves with approximately 500 participants. It was originally constructed in German, but is now also available in English and Dutch.
computer science | psychology | art | engineering | design | media sciences | architecture
weimar | jena | ulm | leipzig | bonn | hong kong | eindhoven | freiburg | london | dunedin | hull | oslo
igroup presence questionnaire (IPQ) Download
Download the IPQ
Here you can download the IPQ scale with question in German, English, and Dutch, as well as the respective scale anchors. Please note two important points:
- We have ourselves only conducted data with the German version. The English version has to be regarded as a non-tested translation by non-native speakers. We are thankful for any assistance and co-operation in improving this translation. The Dutch version is currently being applied, the factor structure remains to be replicated, though.
- It is difficult to translate some of the German terms used in the items, especially wirklich and anwesend They have a special meaning in German, and makes the German items more distinct from each other than the English items might seem.
- Some of the items were taken from previously published scales. The respective copyright holders are indicated in the last column. We have kept the original wording and the original scale anchors. Therefore, some items have a third anchor in the middle of scale, some do not. Likewise, some items have more general scale anchors like fully disagree and fully agree, some have more precise anchors. In our experience, this approach actually helps in making the scale less boring.
If you want to use the IPQ in your own research, you can do so under the following conditions:
Download to the IPQ
- You may make and give away verbatim copies of the IPQ without restriction, provided that you duplicate all of the original copyright notices.
- Publications of data collected both with the IPQ and with modified versions must reference the copyright holders.
- You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of this questionnaire. You may charge any fee you choose for support of this questionnaire. You may not charge a fee for this questionnaire itself. However, you may distribute this questionnaire in aggregate with other (possibly commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial) product provided that you do not advertise this questionnaire as a product of your own.
Questions on equipment, content, and demographic variables
Obviously, data on experienced presence should be accompanied by some information on the technology used. We currently emphasize the following variables and include them in the downloadable dataset:
- type of visual display
- type of audio display
- perspective on the VE (first/third person)
- duration of stay in the VE
- type of application
- gender and
- age of the user
For documentation, we further add
- language of the questionnaire
- version number of the questionnaire
- researchers conducting the study
- study name
We strongly encourage researchers who want to add data to our database to provide these variables as well. See the data description for a detailed documentation of these items.